Mufti Muhammad Rafi Usmani
Mufti Azam Pakistan, Muhammad Rafi Usmani is the Grand Mufti of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan. He is also the current President of Darul Uloom Karachi. He is the son of the late Mufti Muhammad Shafi Usmani (RA), the founder of Darul Uloom Karachi. He is recognized for his knowledge of fiqh, hadith, and tafsir. He has authored a large number of books in Urdu, as well as some notable treatises in Arabic. He is the brother of another notable Islamic scholar, Mufti Muhammad Taqi Usmani and Maulana Wali Razi. Mufti Sahab is also a member of Jamiatul Ulama USA.
Mufti Muhammad Taqi Usmani
Mufti Muhammad Taqi Usmani was born in 1943 in Deoband, India. He is the son of the late Maulana Mufti Muhammad Shafi, the former Grand Mufti of Pakistan. He obtained his Takhassus degree (an advanced degree equivalent to a Ph.D.) in Islamic education from Darul Uloom Karachi, the largest and most renowned Islamic educational institution in Pakistan. He also obtained a Master’s degree in Arabic literature from Punjab University and a law degree (LLB) from Karachi University.
He is regarded as an expert in the fields of Hadith (sacred traditions of the Holy Prophet, may Allah’s peace and blessings be upon him), Fiqh (Islamic jurisprudence), Economics, and Tasawwuf (Islamic spirituality). He has been teaching these and other branches of Islamic education since 1959. He served as Judge of the Shariat Appellate Bench of the Supreme Court of Pakistan from 1982 to May 2002. He is also a permanent member of the International Islamic Fiqh Academy, an organ of OIC based in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. He has served as the Vice-Chairman of the Academy for nine years. He is also the Vice President of Darul Uloom Karachi.
He is generally known as one of the leading Shariah scholars active in the field of Islamic finance. For more than a decade he has served as chairman or member of Shariah supervisory boards of a dozen Islamic banks and financial institutions in various parts of the world. He presently serves as Chairman of the International Shariah Council for the Accounting and Auditing Organization for Islamic Financial Institutions (AAOIFI) in Bahrain.
He has held many positions in the higher echelons of the education sector of Pakistan and has participated in numerous commissions set up by the government of Pakistan in the field of education and economics. Since 1967, he’s been the Chief Editor of the monthly Urdu-language magazine “Albalagh”, and since 1990, he’s been Chief Editor of the monthly English-language magazine “Albalagh International.” He has also contributed articles to leading Pakistani newspapers on a range of issues. He has authored more than 60 books in Arabic, English, and Urdu.
- Vice President and Shaikul-Hadith, Jamia Darul Uloom Karachi
- Chairman, International Shariah Standard Council set up by the Accounting and Auditing Organization for Islamic Financial Institutions, Bahrain.
- Permanent Member, International Islamic Fiqh Academy, Jeddah, sponsored by OIC.
- Member, Islamic Fiqh Academy of Rabita-al-‘Alam-e-Islami, Makkah
- Chairman, Centre for Islamic Economics, Pakistan since 1991
Positions Held in the Past:
- Judge, Shariat Appellate Bench, Supreme Court of Pakistan from 1982 to May 2002
- Judge, Federal Shariat Court of Pakistan from 1980 to 1982
- Member, Syndicate University of Karachi 1985 to 1988
- Member, Board of Governors, International Islamic University Islamabad, 1985 to 1989.
- Member, International Institute of Islamic Economics 1985 to 1988
- Member, Council of Islamic Ideology 1977 to 1981
- Member, Board of Trustees International Islamic University, Islamabad 2004 to 2007
- Member, Commission for Islamisation of Economy of Pakistan.
Current Affiliated Institutions
- Chairman Shariah Board, Central Bank of Bahrain
- Chairman Shariah Board, Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank, U.A.E.
- Chairman Shariah Board, Meezan Bank Ltd., Karachi, Pakistan
- Chairman Shariah Board, Dubai Bank, Dubai
- Chairman Shariah Board, International Islamic Rating Agency, Bahrain
- Chairman Shariah Board, Swiss Re-Takaful, Switzerland
- Chairman Shariah Board, Pak-Kuwait Takaful, Karachi
- Chairman Shariah Board, Pak-Qatar Takaful, Karachi
- Chairman Shariah Board, Bank Islami, Karachi
- Chairman Shariah Board, JS Investments Islamic Fund, Karachi
- Chairman Shariah Board, JS Islamic Pension Savings Fund
- Chairman Shariah Board, Arif Habib Investments – Pakistan International Element Islamic Fund, Karachi
- Member Shariah Board, Arcapita Bank, Bahrain
- Member Shariah Board, Islamic Corporation for the Development of the Private Sector (ICD), an organ of IDB Jeddah
- Member Shariah Board, Guidance Financial Group, USA
Dr. Muhammad Imran Usmani
Dr. Muhammad Imran Usmani, son of Justice (Retd) Mufti Muhammad Taqi Usmani, holds an LLB, M. Phil, and Ph. D. in Islamic Finance and graduated as a scholar with specialization (Takhassus) in Islamic Fiqh and fatwa from Jamia Darul-Uloom, Karachi.
Dr. Usmani is the head of Hira Foundation School (a project of Jamia Darul Uloom, Karachi) with a vision to provide high-quality education to its students with its unique blend of modern academics with Islamic teachings. The aim is to develop its students into becoming staunch and practicing Muslims with strong Islamic and moral values. The school serves as a cultivating ground for Muslim children, providing educational services from Pre-school to University level.
Presently, he is also the Shariah Advisor and Group Head of Product Development Shariah Compliance (PDSC) at Meezan Bank and is in charge of the R&D and Product Development of Islamic banking products, Training, Advisory, and Audit & Compliance for the relevant activities.
He has been serving as a teacher lecturer of important subjects of Shariah (Fiqh & Hadith in Mutawassitah to Aalimiyyah levels) since 1990 in Jamia Darul Uloom Karachi and is the member of the administration board of Jamia Darul-Uloom, Karachi. He is a visiting faculty member at Karachi University and IBA. He has also been leading Friday khuthbah and prayer at a Jamia Mosque for 20 years.
Dr. Imran Usmani has served as advisor/member of Shariah Boards of several renowned institutions since 1997 which includes; the State Bank of Pakistan, HSBC – Amanah Finance, UBS – Switzerland, Guidance Financial Group USA, Lloyds TSB Bank – UK, Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JABIC), Credit Suisse Switzerland, RBS Global, Old Mutual Albarakah Equity and Balanced Funds South Africa, AIG Takaful, ACR Retakaful Malaysia, Capitas Group USA, Bank of London And Middle East Kuwait, BMI Bank Bahrain, Al Khaliji Bank Qatar, Sarasin Bank Switzerland, DCD group Dubai and other Mutual and Property funds, Takaful Companies, and international Sukuk, etc. He is also an Executive Committee Member of AAOIFI (Dubai) and Shariah Supervisory Board of International Islamic Financial Market (IIFM) Bahrain and International Center for Education in Islamic Finance (INCEIF) Malaysia, Institute of Business Administration (IBA), Karachi, and Center for Islamic Economics (CIE), Karachi.
Dr. Imran Usmani is the author of numerous publications related to Islamic finance and other Shariah-related subjects. He has presented papers in numerous national and international seminars and has delivered lectures at academic institutions including Harvard, LSE, LUMS, and IBA.
For more details visit website: http://imranusmani.com/
Jamia Darul Uloom Karachi was established in Shawwal, 1370 corresponding to June 1951 in an old school building located in Nanakwarah by Mufti-e-A’zam Pakistan Hazrat Maulana Mufti Muhammad Shafi (RA).
It is now run by Mufti Azam Pakistan, Mufti Muhammad Rafi Usmani, and his brother Justice (R) Mufti Muhammad Taqi Usmani
Jamia Darul Uloom Karachi is a top academic institution imparting all branches of Islamic knowledge for the last 60 years. It has more than 25 departments and divisions to facilitate students with advanced knowledge not only in Islamic Studies but also in all relevant spheres of Islam.